Vittore Branca Center
What is the Vittore Branca Center?
Inaugurated in June 2010 in Venice, the International Center for the Study of Italian Culture named after Vittore Branca - a world-renowned Italianist who was Secretary General of the Giorgio Cini Foundation - is a new international resource for humanities studies.
Thanks to the new Residence on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice, the Vittore Branca Center is a place of study and meeting for young researchers and expert scholars, writers and artists willing to spend a research period in Venice, living on San Giorgio and working in the Foundation libraries.
Who can apply to the Vittore Branca Center?
The Center is open – with no age limits – to young researchers and expert scholars, writers and artists interested in furthering their knowledge in a field of Italian civilisation (especially the culture of the Veneto) – visual arts, history, literature, music, drama - from an interdisciplinary point of view.
Each scholar’s period of stay is flexible, according to their specific research needs.
Besides offering co-financing to independent researchers, the Giorgio Cini Foundation offers scholarships aimed at PhDs and post-docs.
How can scholars apply to the Vittore Branca Center?
Scholars shall fill out an application form: click here to download the application form
What are the services offered by the Vittore Branca Center?
Being a member of the Vittore Branca Center includes:
- accommodation in a single or double room in the Vittore Branca Center Residence, located on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice with free access to all common spaces such as fitness room, music room, terrace, spaces pertaining to the monumental complex;
- privileged access to the Fondazione Giorgio Cini libraries and archives housed in the Foundation. The ideal piazza of the Vittore Branca Center is the Nuova Manica Lunga, the new heart of the restyled user services in the Giorgio Cini Foundation library complex, featuring wireless Internet connection;
- free access to all cultural initiatives organized by the Giorgio Cini Foundation (workshops and seminars, conferences, exhibitions, concerts, etc.);
- in-depth information on documents and funds held in the Fondazione Giorgio Cini libraries and instructions on the main Venetian libraries and archives;
- young scholars staying in the Vittore Branca Center can benefit from a tutorship, to help them orientate in the Venetian cultural offer and put them in contact with the main specialists to help them make the most out of their research experience.
How can I reach the Vittore Branca Center?
The Vittore Branca Center is located on the Island of San Giorgio Maggiore, Venice. To reach San Giorgio Maggiore, scholars shall take vaporetto #2 and get off at “San Giorgio” stop.
Vittore Branca International Center for the Study of Italian Culture
tel. + 39 041 2710253
fb: Fondazione Giorgio Cini